Just found out you’re pregnant? Learn what you can do now to have a healthy baby:
- Call a prenatal care provider now to schedule your first prenatal care appointment.
- If you need help paying for prenatal care, apply for Pregnancy Medicaid as soon as possible.
- The first three months your baby is growing are very important. Make sure to take prenatal vitamins, including 400 mcg of folic acid daily. It is available at any drug store. (It is best to start taking 400 mcg of folic acid six months prior to pregnancy.)
- If you smoke, now is the time to quit! If you need help quitting, call the Healthy Start Program at (941) 861-2905, or call the Florida Quit-Line at 1-877-822-6669.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. There is no “safe” amount of alcohol during pregnancy.
- If you are taking prescription drugs, contact your doctor immediately to make sure they are safe for your baby.
- Visit our Pregnancy Resource Center at 1750 17th Street, Building A, in Sarasota from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, for information to help give your baby the best chance for a healthy start in life.
|If You Need Help With:||Call:|
|Applying for a Sarasota County Health Department Clinic Card||• Eligibility Staff, SCHD, (941) 861-2900|
|Pregnancy Medicaid||• www.myflorida.com/accessflorida
• MomCare, (941) 373-7070, x305
|Becoming more healthy during pregnancy||• Your Prenatal Care Provider
• Pregnancy Resource Center (1750 17th Street, Building A, Sarasota, Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
• Healthy Start Program, (941) 861-2905
|Free pregnancy test||• Sarasota County Health Department, Birthways Family Birth Center, Sarasota Pregnancy Center|
Prenatal Care Providers in Sarasota County
Area code for all numbers is 941
FOR HOSPITAL DELIVERIES
At Sarasota Memorial Hospital (Sarasota County):
Bee Ridge Obstetrics & Gynecology, 3920 Bee RidgeRd., Bldg. B, Suite. B, Sarasota,34233, 921-5302**
Women’s Care Specialists, 1921 Waldemere Street, Suite 802, Sarasota, 34239, 917-7888***
OB & GYN Specialists, Inc., 1921 Waldemere Street, Suite 307, Sarasota, 34239, 917-8561**
Department of Health Sarasota County, 2200 Ringling Boulevard, Sarasota, 34237, 861-2878*
South County Family Health Center, 6950 Outreach Way, North Port, 34287, 861-3820*
Associates in Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2439 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota, 34239, 955-8076**
Gulf Coast Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1950 Arlington St., Suite 203, Sarasota, 34239, 379-6331**
University Park Obstetrics & Gynecology, University Health Park Bldg 1, 2401 University Pkwy, Unit 201, Sarasota, 34243, 359-8300
At Bay Front Health Hospital (Charlotte County):
Comprehensive Women’s Clinic, 15061 Tamiami Trail, North Port, 34287, 423-5035**
FOR OUT-OF-HOSPITAL DELIVERIES (BIRTH CENTER OR HOME BIRTHS)
Birthways Family Birth Center, 4222 McIntosh Lane, Sarasota. 34232, 366-BABY*
Cathy Matthews Home Birth Services, 4944 Midnight Lane, Sarasota, 34235, 351-2102*
Rosemary Birthing Home, 800 Central Avenue, Sarasota, 34236, 330-9966*
LifeSong Midwifery, 5857 Babian Rd., North Port, 34291, 441-6410*
All providers accept private insurance or cash. See stars for those who accept Medicaid.
*Accepts temporary and full Medicaid
** Accepts full Medicaid
*** Does not accept Medicaid