Why should you apply for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Breastfeeding friendly workplaces can enjoy employee loyalty, and are viewed by the community as family-centered. Babies are meant to be breastfed, so supporting breastfeeding means you support healthy babies AND healthy mothers. Breastfeeding support in the workplace is not only highly desired by breastfeeding employees who return to work after childbirth, but it can also improve your return on investment (ROI).
Workplaces that support breastfeeding demonstrate:
- Lower medical costs and health insurance claims for breastfeeding employees and their infants
- Reduced turnover rates
- Lower absenteeism rates
- Improved productivity
- Raised employee morale and company loyalty
For more information on the specific benefits of breastfeeding click here.
What are the benefits for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
In addition to the benefits listed above, businesses will receive:
- Recognition via a certificate of achievement to proudly display
- “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” window cling and sticker which notifies patrons and visitors of your designation, one that is becoming increasingly notable and sought after.
- Listing on our website and Facebook Pages
- Guidance and support with making your business welcoming to breastfeeding moms
What are the requirements for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Workplaces can take simple, cost-effective actions to show their support of their breastfeeding employees.
At a minimum your business must:
- Discuss your breastfeeding friendly status with employees
- Provide breastfeeding employees with flexible breaks to pump or nurse
- Provide a safe location which is clean (NOT a bathroom), and private. This space must be shielded from view, free from intrusion by patrons or co-workers, and provide a comfortable place to sit.
These requirements are based on Federal Law (FLSA7r).
Your business can demonstrate support for breastfeeding mothers by displaying the “Breastfeeding is Welcome Here” window decal or sticker that you will receive upon acceptance.
Additional actions your business can take include:
- Provide a written breastfeeding support policy and education about the policy to all employees
- Provide a nursing room which includes access to an electrical outlet, telephone, breast pump, refrigerator for milk storage, nearby sink, and breastfeeding art
- Provide a flexible return to work policy for new parents
- Host worksite education (breastfeeding support & classes)
- Provide an updated list of local breastfeeding resources
For more information on what other businesses have done to support their breastfeeding employees click here.