Why should you apply for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Breastfeeding friendly healthcare providers can enjoy patient and employee loyalty and are viewed by the community as family-centered. Babies are meant to be breastfed, so supporting breastfeeding means you support healthy babies AND healthy mothers. Mothers who breastfeed lower their chances of developing a variety of illnesses from certain types of ovarian and breast cancers to type 2 diabetes. For more information on the benefits of breastfeeding click here.
What are the benefits for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, healthcare providers will receive:
- Recognition via a certificate of achievement to proudly display
- “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” window cling and sticker which notifies patients and visitors of your designation, one that is becoming increasingly notable and sought after.
- Listing on our website and Facebook Pages
- Guidance and support with making your office welcoming to breastfeeding moms
What are the requirements for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Healthcare Providers can take simple, cost-effective actions to show their support of breastfeeding families.
At a minimum your office/clinic must:
- Welcome breastfeeding mothers
- Discuss your breastfeeding friendly status with employees
- Provide updated resources for breastfeeding questions/concerns. This can be as simple as a brochure listing breastfeeding resources in the community – one is available for free from the Healthy Start Coalition of Sarasota County.
This means that breastfeeding women will be treated respectfully in your office by staff and that the Florida Law in regards to breastfeeding (FL Statute 383.015) will be followed – A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be. This law also specifies that the mother cannot be asked to use a cover.
Your office can demonstrate support for breastfeeding mothers by displaying the “Breastfeeding is Welcome Here” window decal or sticker that you will receive upon acceptance.
Other simple optional actions your office/clinic can take include:
- Providing a written breastfeeding policy
- Providing current evidence-based education and support or referring to breastfeeding experts
- Not providing any materials from formula companies including samples, gift bags, and brochures. Click here for why.