Why should you apply for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Breastfeeding friendly businesses can enjoy patron and employee loyalty, and are viewed by the community as family-centered. Babies are meant to be breastfed, so supporting breastfeeding means you support healthy babies AND healthy mothers. For more information on the specific benefits of breastfeeding click here. This all translates to healthier communities.
What are the benefits for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
In addition to healthier communities, businesses will receive:
- Recognition via a certificate of achievement to proudly display
- “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” window cling and sticker which notifies patrons and visitors of your designation, one that is becoming increasingly notable and sought after.
- Listing on our website and Facebook Pages
- Guidance and support with making your business welcoming to breastfeeding moms
What are the requirements for the Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota designation?
Businesses can take simple, cost-effective actions to show their support of breastfeeding families.
At a minimum your business must:
- Welcome breastfeeding mothers
- Discuss your breastfeeding friendly status with employees
This means that breastfeeding women will be treated respectfully in your business by staff and that the Florida Law in regards to breastfeeding (FL Statute 383.015) will be followed – A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be. This law also specifies that the mother cannot be asked to use a cover.
Your business can demonstrate support for breastfeeding mothers by displaying the “Breastfeeding is Welcome Here” window decal or sticker that you will receive upon acceptance.
Other simple optional actions your business can take include:
- Providing a written breastfeeding support policy
- Making breastfeeding resources and information available for patrons and visitors.