Breastfeeding Advocates of Sarasota County (BASC)
The Breastfeeding Advocates of Sarasota County is a dynamic group of passionate individuals, agencies, and organizations working to improve breastfeeding through education, direct services, and workplace support.
Members include the Healthy Start Coalition, the Healthy Start Program, the Save My Life Program, Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County, Sarasota WIC, Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Suncoast La Leche League, Lactation Love and other private lactation providers, local OB providers, birthing centers, midwives, and pediatricians, as well as moms and concerned community members. Nursing babies in arms are always welcome at meetings!
All meetings are held at the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County, 2200 Ringling Blvd, Sarasota, FL 34237, Room 2063 (2nd floor off the Breastfeeding Nook and Lobby) on the 2nd Wednesday of every other month from 3:30-5:00 pm.
- January 10 Agenda Minutes
- March 14 (meeting canceled)
- May 9 Agenda Minutes
- July 11 Agenda Minutes
- September 12
- November 14
Agenda, Minutes, and Handouts are posted here after each meeting.
What does BASC do?
BASC is an active workgroup. Members discuss gaps in services, concerns or issues in the community, and put our ideas to work improving our community.
We like to think of solutions that are outside of the box. Some of the activities we have been a part of include:
- Breastfeeding Friendly Sarasota Project
- Latch On, Sarasota!
- Breastfeeding Nook at the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County (Ringling location)
- World Breastfeeding Week activities
- "Eat Local" Campaign
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
- "Lactation Lounge" at the Sarasota Community Baby Shower
- National Breastfeeding Month Blog Hop
- Sarasota County Infant Feeding Survey
- Workshops and Educational Opportunities
- "Eat at Mom's!" Onesie Giveaway
- And more!
How do I learn more?
For more information or to join BASC, contact Jamee Thumm at the Healthy Start Coalition of Sarasota County email@example.com or 941-373-7070 ext. 307.